Auction 59 Part 1 FIELD of MIRACLES with a psychiatric bias
By The Arc
Nov 7, 2020
Москва Набережная Тараса Шевченко д.3., Russia
Golden autumn will delight you with new and unusual. Books, posters, paintings, photos, documents including doctors and patients.
The auction has ended

LOT 50:

Jubilee act of the Imperial University of St. Petersburg Vladimir's. September 3, 1884.

  Previous item
Next item 

Start price:
1,000 р
Buyer's Premium: 20% More details
tags: Books

Jubilee act of the Imperial University of St. Petersburg Vladimir's. September 3, 1884.
Kiev. Printing house of the Imperial University of St. Petersburg. Vladimir, 1885, XX, 304 p. Paperback, size 18 x 26.5 cm. Good condition. The cover is separate from the block, the block is divided into notebooks, tears and losses of covers, prints. Not a split instance.

Saint Vladimir Imperial University is a former University that operated in Kiev, Russian Empire. It was founded on November 8 (20), 1833 by decree of Emperor Nicholas I. The Emperor approved the temporary Charter and staffing of the University. The basis for the Imperial decree was the presentation of the Minister of public education S. S. Uvarov on the Foundation of the Imperial University of St. Petersburg. Vladimir on the basis of closed after the Polish uprising of 1830-1831 Vilna University and Kremenets Lyceum, moved to Kiev. St. John's University Vladimir was the second University on the territory of little Russia after Kharkiv University, opened in 1804 (and the sixth University of the Russian Empire).

On July 15 (27), 1834, the day of the memory of the Holy Prince Vladimir equal to the apostles, the University was officially opened.on October 18 (30), 1834, Professor Mikhail Maksimovich was appointed as the first rector of the University by order of Emperor Nicholas I.

In the first academic year (1834-1835), the University had only one faculty of philosophy with two departments: history and Philology and physics and mathematics. 62 students were enrolled in the first year and classes began at the University on August 28, 1834. The rite of "initiation into students", unlike other Russian universities, was conducted according to the old knightly rules and was led by field Marshal, suppressor of the Polish uprising, Prince F. V. Osten–sacken. According to the organizers, this dedication looked like a symbolic transfer of continuity between the old and new generations.

Under the guidance of Professor of architecture V. I. Beretti, a huge University building was built in the style of Russian classicism (1838-1842) on the deserted outskirts of ancient Kiev. The main building of the University is a closed building (145 m long facade) with a courtyard and bears the colors of the award ribbon of the order of St. Vladimir-red and black (red walls, black bases and capitals of columns). The motto of the same order "Utilitas, Honor et Gloria" ("Benefit, honor and glory" in Latin) also became the motto of the University. In 1842. the University moved to a new building, where it was located until 1917.

The University was initially established as a part of 2 faculties: philosophy (later divided into history and Philology and physics and mathematics) and law. In the first year, only the faculty of philosophy was opened. The faculty was initially mixed: Polish professors were transferred from Kremenets, and Russian and German professors were added to them. In 1838, the Polish movement led to the temporary closure of the University and the dismissal or transfer of professors and students of Polish origin. The number of listeners has been greatly reduced; half of the departments were emptied and were replaced by Russians or Germans. In 1841, instead of the abolished Vilna medical and surgical Academy, a medical faculty was opened at Kiev University.

To replace the empty departments, young people were sent abroad and teachers from the pedagogical Institute and other universities were invited. A new life began at the University, but abruptly ended under the influence of the harsh measures of 1848. The departments were empty again, and the number of students was limited. According to the Supreme decree of January 26, 1850, the University was ordered to accept only 300 "self-employed", that is, students who studied at their own expense (an exception was made only for the Medical faculty). At the same time, preference was given to those candidates who, according to p. 3. volume III of the civil service Regulations were entitled to join the civil service. But even in the difficult time of 1848-56, the University was enriched with new institutions: an anatomical theater and a meteorological Observatory were built, and commissions began to work to describe the provinces of the Central educational district and to analyze ancient acts. Since the end of the 50s, the revival of Kiev University has also begun. The growth process was particularly affected by the introduction of the Charter of 1863. The previous era left the University in decline, so there were only 3 professors in the faculty of law, and the case was not much better in other faculties. In the report for 1862-1863, complaints are heard that many departments remain unfilled; professors, for lack of material resources, have to turn to outside classes; the unpreparedness of students forces them to turn lectures into gymnasium lessons, textbooks are scarce, and so on. According to the Charter of 1863 Kiev University had 58 professors and 31 associate professors, while the University had only 35 professors and 5 adjuncts, and 12 professors did not have a doctorate. To replace the departments, the University created the Institute of fellows (1864), which was later adopted by the Ministry of public education for other universities. In the first five years after the introduction of the Charter, it was difficult to replace most of the departments in the physics and mathematics and medical faculties; the situation was worse at the faculty of history and Philology, where, for example, the Department of Russian history remained empty for 8 years. In scientific terms, the most productive period was the first, until 1848, marked by the works of Maksimovich, Danilovich, Ivanishev, Nevolin, Kessler, Middendorf, and others; then the scientific productivity of professors strongly decreased and revived only in the 60s. From this time (1861) began to publish "University news" and with them " Collected works of students»; a number of scientific societies are being opened, the library and collections are being replenished, which until then remained almost in the same form as they were transported from Kremenets and Vilna, new offices and laboratories are being established, buildings of the chemical laboratory (1873) and clinics (1885) are being built.
In 1884, the University celebrated its 50th anniversary; student unrest caused the University to close for six months. After the University reopened, a new Charter was introduced in 1884. By January 1, 1884, there were 48 professors, 19 associate professors, Privat-docents 8, proektorov 2, astronomer observer 1, lecturers 3. By January 1, 1894, was: 69 professors, Privat-docents 32, proektorov 6 and 8 assistants, 2 lecturers, astronomer observer 1, laboratory technicians, conservatives, residents and so on. 51. The number of students at the University fluctuated greatly, but in General constantly increased: the University opened with 62 students, in 1838 there were 267 students, after the University closed in 1838 — 125, by 1860-1049; in 1863, due to the Polish uprising, most of the Polish students left the University and the number of students fell to 476; in 1871-940, in 1876 — 613, in 1884 — 1709, in 1894 — 2327. The most crowded faculties are law and medicine. In 1859, there were 540 physicians, three times as many as lawyers; since the 60s, the number of lawyers has been growing rapidly, and the number of physicians has been falling; in 1864, there were twice as many lawyers as there were doctors; in 1870, they were almost equal; then the number of doctors exceeded the number of lawyers in 1881 by almost 5 times (785 and 175). The influx of doctors at this time was so great that I had to install a set for 1 course. Despite this, by 1894 there were 1,014 physicians. The number of lawyers has also increased rapidly in recent years (932 in 1894). The number of philologists before the introduction of the Charter in 1884 was about 1/9 of all students (in 1883 — 162), then quickly began to fall, and in 1894 there were only 69. at the faculty of physics and mathematics until 1868 there was 1/4 of the total number of students, in 1882. this number decreased to 1/8, and in 1894 there were 312 people, i.e. about 1/7, and there are one and a half times more natural scientists than mathematicians, whereas before mathematicians prevailed. At first, most of the students were children of nobles (88%); in 1883, nobles made up only 50%. In 1833, an inspector was established to supervise students, under the authority of the rector; the inspector was later placed directly under the Trustee. In 1837 the supervision of students was strengthened; for the poor, as well as for unreliable self-employed students, a special hostel was opened, which received the name "shtrafgauza" among students; it was closed in 1860, state-funded students were abolished in 1858. (the number of state-funded students, according to the Charter of 1842, was 150, and 40-60 students lived in the "shtrafgauz"). In the following years, the state support was replaced by scholarships, of which there were 101 in 1893. To help poor students at the University, there was a trusteeship for insufficient students (since 1869) and a society for helping students in need (since 1881), which gave out about 20 thousand rubles of benefits annually.

At the end of the XIX-beginning of the XX centuries, Kiev University has a library with a student Department (more than half a million volumes) and a Central archive of ancient acts, 2 observatories-meteorological and astronomical, 4 faculty clinics, 3 hospitals and 3 at the city Alexander hospital, an anatomical theater, a pathoanatomical Institute, a Botanical garden, 9 laboratories and 22 offices. The University publishes a monthly magazine: "University news". The University has 5 scientific societies (historical Nestor-chronicler, natural scientists, law, physics and mathematics, and obstetrics and gynecology).

in 1900, students protested against the exclusion from the University of participants in a student rally, as a result of which 183 students were sent to the soldiers.

In November 1910, violent workers 'and students' demonstrations were held in Kiev in connection with the death of Leo Tolstoy. About a hundred students are among the 107 arrested demonstrators. In February 1911, the all-Russian student strike took place again.

On the eve of the October revolution of 1917, about 5,300 students studied at Kiev University.

In 1918, the University was closed and reopened only on March 29, 1919.

  Previous item
Next item